- President Rodrigo Duterte has accepted ABS-CBN’s apology re his unaired political ads
- He said the Kapamilya station can donate the P2.6-million that they tried to give as refund
- Duterte said he cannot stop the quo warranto petition filed against the network
MANILA CITY – Apology accepted!
President Rodrigo Duterte had accepted the apology of ABS-CBN related to his unaired political advertisements during the 2016 presidential poll. Duterte made his pronouncement Wednesday in a chance interview with the media after the 12th Ani ng Dangal Awards in Malacanang Palace.
“Yes. Ay, nandiyan ‘yan. I accept the apology, of course,” the chief executive replied when asked if he accepts the apology made by ABS-CBN CEO Carlo Katigbak at a Senate hearing Monday; as per Philippine Star.
Duterte said the Kapamilya station can donate the P2.6-million that they tried to refund to him for unaired ads but that his campaign team refused to accept. This is part of around P7-million that the network tried to refund to him, whereby the previous tranche was accepted.
He, however, distanced himself and said he cannot stop the quo warranto petition filed against the network by Solicitor General Jose Calida over the station’s alleged il
GMA News shared that the chief executive said he would not interfere with ongoing deliberation in the lower house and Senate regarding ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal process.
To note, Duterte had earlier said he would block the renewal of franchise of the Kapamilya network citing his unaired campaign ads.
During the Senate hearing regarding the network giant’s franchise renewal on Monday, ABS-CBN President Katigbak asked for an apology re Duterte’s unaired ads but stood firm that the station does not have any political agenda, as shared in an earlier story by Virtual Pinoy.
“We are sorry if we offended the President. I know our chairman Mark Lopez shares this, ABS-CBN does not and will not have its own political agenda,” Katigbak said.
Katigbak noted that the airing of anti-Duterte ads paid for by former Senator Antonio Trillanes IV did not violate any laws and was within ethical standards. He said Duterte’s ads were not aired because of lack of enough time slot.