- President Rodrigo Duterte is eyeing to order total ban of firecrackers in the country
- He noted the government is included in the ban
- Duterte belied the belief that firecrackers drive evil spirits away
President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday said he will order a nationwide firecracker ban by issuing an executive order subject to review by the justice department.
The total ban would mean no firecrackers and fireworks shall be allowed in the Philippines
UNTV News and Rescue quoted the President saying, “I will issue the executive order at this early para warning na doon sa lahat that I am banning firecracker all together. Wala ‘yan sa gobyerno.” [I will issue the executive order this early to warn everybody that I am banning firecracker all together. Even in the government.]
He noted others might say that the government bans fireworks yet they are using it — he said it includes the government who will be banned.
Duterte said his decision to close the country from firecrackers is to avoid the damages it causes to the people especially children.
The chief executive said he doesn’t believe firecrackers drive evil spirits away.
Last year, GMA News shared that the Palace disclosed Duterte’s request for the Congress to pass a law regarding the firecracker ban.
No law has been passed yet but Duterte issued Executive Order 28 on June 20, 2017 to limit its use and order the setting of community fireworks display sponsored by the local government.
UNTV CEO Daniel Razon agrees with the President’s plan; saying that the money used to buy firecrackers can instead be given to charity.
“Maraming nagugutom. Maraming mga hindi kumakain. Maraming nao-ospital na walang pampagamot. Maraming nangangailangan ng pampa-dialysis. Maraming mga nangangailangan na makikita mo sa kalye na wala silang anoman (na) pinaputok lang naman natin.”
[Many are hungry. Many do not eat. Many are in hospitals without money. Many needs dialysis. Many stays in the street needing the money we only use for firecrackers.]