DOLE offers program for students to earn this summer

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has urged students and out-of-school youth to earn extra income by applying in their special program.

Image by Department of Labor and Employment

DOLE’s Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) is aimed at encouraging the youth to seek work during summer and Christmas break and receive incentives from the agency. The program is targeted at helping poor but deserving youth who intend to finish or continue their studies.

Bureau of Local Employment Director Dominique Tutay shared with ABS-CBN, “Ang priority natin diyan ‘yong mga poor at deserving students so we look at the income of the family.”

Image by Department of Labor and Employment via Facebook page

The special program will not only provide extra income for students but also teach them skills.

Danica Dela Cruz, a student who joined the SPES last summer, is thankful for the opportunity. She said, “Masaya po ako dahil sa tulong ng SPES, umabot ako sa punto na ‘to… parang isa siyang malaking reward sa magulang ko.”

Benefits

Accepted students shall be paid in cash. Except for low income LGUs, the employer shall shoulder 60% of the applicable minimum wage or hiring rate, while DOLE shall pay for the remaining 40%. They will also be entitled to an insurance coverage for a period of one year.

Qualifications

Applicants must be at least 15 years old but not more than 30 years old and with a passing grade during the last semester/school year. For out-of-school youth, they must be duly certified. Applicants’ combined net income after tax of parents, including his/her income does not exceed the regional poverty threshold.

Requirements

Applicants must fill up the SPES Application Form (SPES Form 2). During application, they must also bring their copy of Birth Certificate or any official document showing student/OSY’s date of birth. A copy of the parents’ latest income tax return (ITR) or Certificate of Tax Exemption (CTE) issued by the BIR or Certificate of Low Income or Certificate of Indigence issued by the barangay or SWDO must also be presented. For students, an average passing grade is required as indicated in Form 138/ report card/ class card or a Certification by the school registrar as to passing grade.

For OSY, a Certification as OSY should be issued by the Barangay or the City/Municipality/Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (SWDO) where the applicant resides.

Source :

ABS-CBN, DOLE, Sunstar