- Doc Willie Ong filed his certificate of candidacy on Thursday
- He aspires to be a Senator
- Ong wants to push health reforms
Doctor Willie Ong, a cardiologist, filed his certificate of candidacy on Thursday to push health reforms through the Senate health committee.
GMA News quoted Ong saying, “Nakita ko ‘yung butas sa Senate, wala tayong doktor doon. Walang doktor doon na nagsusulong sa Committee on Health katulad ni Senator Juan Flavier.”
[I saw something missing in the Senate. There is no doctor there to push the Committee on Health like the (former) Senator Juan Flavier.]
Flavier is a politician who served as a Health Secretary before becoming a Senator.
Ong said, going to and witnessing the condition of poor patients would make somebody feel pity and will transform anyone; hence, he shall push for cheaper medicines and accessible health care for the public at large, especially the poor.
He said he wants to help — he tried in private, he tried via social media, he tried in the Department of Health — as that is what the people need.
The cardiologist has a GOAL guide which to him stands for:
- Gamot (Medicine) – to make medicine cheaper or free
- Operasyon (Operation) – to make possible free operations involving the goiter, gallbladder, luslos (hernia), cysts
- Abiso – to increase the coverage of his health tips and advice on social media, make it simpler and direct
- Libreng Lab test – it needs to be given free by the Philippine Health Insurance (PhilHealth)
The aspiring lawmaker said health is not as simple as saying free medicine, free operation, you’ve got a complication — you must be knowledgeable about it to pass one health bill.
According to Rappler, Ong idolizes Mother Teresa of Calcutta in always wanting to help more patients.